Certificate in Management, Leadership and Decision Sciences
The MLD Area at HKS offers courses in Leadership; Negotiation and Decision Sciences; Strategic Management; and Organizing for Social Change. (Click here to see the full MLD course listing.)
The MLD Area created the Certificate in Management, Leadership, and Decision Sciences (“The MLD Certificate”) to encourage students to be mindful about how MLD coursework can assist in their future public service endeavors and enhance their leadership potential.
MLD Certificate Requirements
- Submit Online Form to Activate Candidacy for the MLD Certificate by November 1 of graduation year
- One-year students must submit forms to activate their candidacy by November 1 of the Fall semester preceding their graduation (e.g., November 1, 2017 for May 2018 graduation).
- All other students may submit forms to activate their candidacy in the Fall (by November 1) or Spring (by May 1), with a final deadline of November 1 of the Fall prior to their graduation (e.g., November 1, 2018 for May 2019 graduation.)
- Complete a minimum of twelve (12) MLD elective course credits
- A full-semester course is equal to 4 credits. A half-semester module is equal to 2 credits.
- Link here to a table of eligible HKS courses.
- Four of the twelve course credits may come from non-HKS courses. Follow link here for full details on HKS cross-registration. Courses taken through cross-registration will require review and approval by the MLD Chair in order for them to qualify towards the MLD Certificate.
- Obtain a minimum grade of B+ or better in each qualifying course
- Submit an Application for the MLD Certificate by May 1 of your graduation year, detailing your completion of the requirements above and providing a statement explaining your MLD training
- The primary purpose of the statement of MLD training is to help students explain their MLD coursework to prospective employers or investors. Click here for guidance on statements of MLD training. A secondary purpose of the statements is for the MLD Area to learn more about how students are approaching their MLD training. The MLD Area Chair will read all of the statements and share insights gained with MLD faculty and staff for curricular planning. There will be no individual evaluation of students’ statements.
Confirmation of Certification. The MLD Administrator and Area Chair will review certificate applications and check them against students’ final transcripts. Prior to Commencement, students will receive an email confirming their certification.